Friday, October 23, 2009

Foreign Language Education at The Woodstock Academy


Contributed by John Bartolotta (Woodstock, Windham County)

My high school tends to several smaller middle schools, from the towns of Brooklyn, Canterbury, Eastford, Pomfret, Union (Tolland County), and Woodstock. The Woodstock Academy offers Spanish, Italian, Latin, French, Mandarin, and Japanese. I come from Brooklyn, and the middle school there has only one Spanish class that starts in the 8th grade. I honestly remember nothing from it.

At my high school, one must take two years of a language to graduate, and we have a wide variety of languages. However, much more needs to be done at the middle school level. I think it should be brought to the attention of my middle school that other middle schools have much broader programs for languages. For my high school, others might like to know the variety of languages we teach, all going up to five levels except for Mandarin and Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment