Saturday, October 3, 2009

Foreign Language Education at The Norwich Free Academy


Contributed by Hunter Kodama (Norwich, New London County)

My school has a relatively large foreign language department, but I do think it could grow and improve. We offer French, Chinese, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, and Italian.

My personal experience has been in French. I started taking French in 7th grade at the private school I went to before NFA. Because of the honors tracking at my middle school, I was always a class ahead of my classmates in high school. i.e., as a freshman I was in Honors French 2 with all sophomores, sophomore year I was in Honors French 4 (the honors track splits French 3 between 2 and 4) with all juniors, and as a junior I was in AP French Language. Unfortunately, there are no french classes offered after that, so I am currently foreign language free.

That is where I would like to see an improvement. The languages at my school are rather lopsided. Some languages offer 6 classes per track, while, as in my case, others only offer 4. As an advanced student, I simply ran out. There is talk about soon adding Sign Language and Japanese to the Foreign Language department at NFA, which I would love to see.

The Norwich Free Academy does not require students to take a foreign language to graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment