Saturday, October 3, 2009

Foreign Language Education at The Gilbert School


Contributed by Jennifer Hunter (Winsted, Litchfield County)

My school only offers Spanish and Latin. We also had Greek, but the teacher who taught both Greek and Latin retired. The new teacher does not know Greek, only Latin. My school could not afford to hire another language teacher because of budget constraints. Two years ago, the school began offering Spanish in sixth grade and going through high school. Latin starts in ninth grade.


The Gilbert School does not require a student to take a foreign language to graduate.

The biggest thing that my school needs to improve on is the variety of languages they offer. Spanish and Latin should not be the only options! I took Spanish 1-3. I would like my school to offer Italian or French.

No comments:

Post a Comment